The following agencies have been known to assist people who may need help paying utility bills. Sumner-Cowley Electric Cooperative is not affiliated with any of these organizations. Contact information is provided as a courtesy to you.

United Way 2-1-1 helps Kansans locate utility assistance programs. Call "211" toll-free to see what assistance programs are available in your area.

Toll-Free Information Line: (800) 432-0043

Mid-Kansas Community Action Program

Serving Sumner, Cowley, Kingman and Harper Counties


Salvation Army


Serving Sumner, Cowley, Kingman, Harper and Sedgwick counties

Winfield community helping hands


Mulvane Share & Care


Wellington Area Ministerial Alliance


Serving residents in 67152 zip code

Harper County Community Hope


Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program

The Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally-funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit. Benefit levels vary according to the following factors: 1) Household income, 2) number of persons living at the address, 3) type of dwelling, 4) type of heating fuel, and 5) utility rates.

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Kansas and you must need financial assistance for home energy costs.

Visit LIHEAP FAQs for Consumers | The Administration for Children and Families ( if you have more questions. 

Department of Energy - Weatherization Assistance Program

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides grants to states, territories, and some Indian tribes to improve the energy efficiency of the homes of low-income families. These governments, in turn, contract with local governments and nonprofit agencies to provide weatherization services to those in need using the latest technologies for home energy upgrades.

For this program, you must be a resident of the state of Kansas. Preference may be given to:

  • People over 60 years of age
  • Families with one or more members with a disability
  • Families with children (in most states)